What's new in CLZ Books for iOS?
A huge 7.0 update for your CLZ Books app is now available, with new features and lots of improvements to existing functionality. All in one go and all based on your feedback!
New in version 7 today:
- Use barcode scanner to search your own database
- New Collection Status: Sold
- New Collection Status icons and colors
- Improved Add Books screen: enlarge thumbs, new beeps, num pad for ISBN entry
- New setting to enable/disable downloading of genres/subjects
- New Favorites section in Manage Pick List screen
- Other small tweaks
Use barcode scanner to search your own database
Up till now, the built-in camera barcode scanner was only ever used to add books by ISBN. But with v7, we have now also enabled it to:
- Search your own collection from the main screen’s search box
- Fill in the Barcode field in the Edit Book screen
New Collection Status: Sold
Many users use the app to not only keep track of your current collection and their wish list, but also to keep a list of the books they sold. So it’s time to add a new Collection Status field for books you’ve sold:
- A new option for the Collection Status field, called “Sold”.
New Collection Status icons and colors
In the List View, a book’s collection status is now clearly visible from the colored bar on the right side. Also, we have introduced new collection status icons, with a colored background to make them stand out more.
Improved Add Books screen
The Add Books from Core screen is of course THE most important screen of the app. For version 7, we have implemented 2 improvements to this Add screen:
Tap cover thumbnail to view larger book covers
When adding by Author/Title, you sometimes need to pick your edition from a long list of results. And the book thumbnails in the book list are too small to decide. Of course, you could preview the book and keep going back and forth between the book list and the preview page.
But now, previewing larger version of the covers is much easier and quicker, just tap the thumb to enlarge the image, tap again to go back:
Different beeps when scanning barcodes
A suggestion, sent to us by one of our users:
Why don’t you make the app do a different beep when an ISBN is not recognized? That would be helpful when quickly scanning a stack of books.
That is a great idea actually, so we implemented it. After the initial “scan beep”, the app now gives a 2nd beep that differs depending on the result:
- A short beep when ONE exact match is found (the most common situation)
- A short low buzz when NO results are found
Num pad when typing an ISBN
When scanning an ISBN barcode is not working you can tap the keyboard icon to type in your ISBN manually. In the past this would open a regular keyboard. In V7 we’ve changed that into a num pad keyboard, including an X for those ISBNs with an X in them.
New setting to enable/disable downloading of genres/subjects
Suggested by our users, we’ve introduced 2 new settings where you can enable/disable the downloading of the genre/subject fields when adding or updating books from Core. So if you don’t want genres or subjects downloaded with your books? You can now disable that in settings.
New Favorites section in Manage Pick List screen
In the Manage Pick List screen you can now use “favorites” to place your most commonly used lists at the top, or search for the pick list you’d like to modify.
Other small tweaks
- The quantity field now shows in the list entries (when not “1”)
- In the Statistics screen you can now use “Tap to show all” to show all recent additions